This is a sobering article, that shows research by M I T back in the 70s puts us on course for real problems in terms of consumption and mass manufacturing – as if we don’t really no this ! It makes for depressing reading as it belives it is too late to alter behaviour, and doubts whether governments have the power to respond. It is merely a case now of individuals planning and protecting themselves…
Tag Archives: the recession
Limits to Growth was right. New research shows were nearing collapse | Cathy Alexander and Graham Turner | Comment is free | theguardian.com
Good to see educational alternatives springing up to challenge the status quo …
It is often the poor or vulnerable who out of nesseitity – show us how we should live
The democratising of making – is it really ? Is the term self taught a little overI optimistic ? And hiding high levels of education in other fields …?
Leave a comment | tags: collaborative creation, digital craft, digital ethnography, future education, making, social movements, the future of manufacturing, the recession | posted in Creativity, Digital futures, Making, New Manufacturing
This is an excellent article that refers back to Justin Mc Guirk’s writing on ‘craft fetishism’ … the romance of skill and process… with a little dose of British eccentricity !
Mind the Future
Contemporary trends delineated in a comical, design-forward compendium
this trailer is great !
Leave a comment | tags: collaborative creation, digital ethnography, financial crisis, furniture, social movements, the future of manufacturing, the recession | posted in Creativity, Digital futures, New ideas
A System For Preserving Food The Ancient Way: Green And Electricity-Free | Co.Design: business + innovation + design
‘Refrigerators consume about a sixth of all household electricity, more than any single kitchen appliance. What’s an environmentally minded consumer to do? You could buy an Energy Star refrigerator, but it’d only be about 20% more efficient than a standard model. So here’s a thought: Toss your fridge, and replace it with designer Jihyun Ryou’s manual food preservation system.’
The future seems to be ‘old knowledge’ …..
- RT @RealSexyCyborg: Female Makers- if this happened in your city, how many if you would let it go without an explanation & commitment that… 14 hours ago
- RT @mediadirectory1: Director of #Marketing and Communications - Almeida #Theatre - £40/£50K - #London Apply Here: https://t.co/cUFdTMzqb… 15 hours ago
- RT @British_Design: Late night opening of On The Line: New Perspectives of Craft in SE Asia @TheAramGallery until 7pm every Thursday https:… 22 hours ago
- RT @roslawler: Tate Digital are hiring! We need a talented Snr Producer to work on exciting projects, film exp. essential https://t.co/gTR5… 22 hours ago
- RT @drkatedevlin: Come and work in a very cool department that I may be a bit biased about. twitter.com/goldcomputing/… 22 hours ago
lists …3D printing collaborative creation craft Critical Craft Design with ethics digital craft digital design digital ethnography financial crisis furniture future education idea communication Life saving Makerbot making mapping new ideas new manufacturing own toys skill social movements Spatial design the future of manufacturing the recession travel